Graduate School courses
Blue forms are not required for graduate school course enrollment. Most graduate school courses can be added to the Yale Course Search (YCS) registration worksheet for Yale College course credit (normally 1, in some instances 0.5 or 2 credits). If a graduate school course cannot be added via YCS, this means that Yale College enrollment in the course is not permitted.
A list of GSAS credit exceptions and approved professional school courses is provided on the University Registrar’s Office website.
Professional School courses
Blue forms are required for ALL professional school course enrollment, except for courses offered by the School of Management. Submitting a blue form constitutes enrollment in the course if approved.
Students wishing to take School of Management courses should instead submit the SOM request form in lieu of the blue form; students must also add SOM courses to their registration worksheets for zero credit. Once approved by SOM, the appropriate credit value (either .5 or 1 credit) will be added.
• Dynamic Form: Requests for all other professional school courses are submitted via the dynamic blue form.
• Course schedules: Students must register for professional school courses (including second-half courses) via YCS before the end of the add/drop period (January 23).
• Blue form submission deadlines: Professional school course requests are due, by 5 p.m., January 23. If the blue form deadline has passed, students must submit an online Course Change Notice as part of the late addition petition process and should consult their residential college dean. A fee of $5 will be charged for the processing of an approved course change notice on which the election of a new course is requested.
• Credit is not guaranteed: Seniors should be particularly mindful of this rule, especially for second-half courses. Until a professional school course has been approved by SOM or by YURO, graduating seniors should not rely on that course for graduation.
• Administrative drop dates: After February 6, any professional school courses with no blue forms will be removed from students’ schedules.
• Administrative drop fee: Students with courses removed by YURO will incur a $5 drop fee per course.
• Re-adding a course: A student must petition CHAS to re-add a course removed by YURO.
• Maximum number of professional courses: Only four professional school credits can be offered toward the 36-credit requirement. However, students may enroll in more than four credits with the understanding that all courses will remain on the academic record and be included in the GPA, even if not offered toward the 36-credit requirement.