Departments will maintain the option to manage enrollment as they have always done; however, the new registration system offers a formal permission request and grant process. If course enrollment has reached enrollment capacity or if a course has been marked as “Instructor Permission Required” in CourseLeaf WEN, students who attempt to enroll in the course will be prompted to submit a formal request. Instructors will receive a daily email notification if there is a permission request awaiting review. Instructors will login to Yale Course Search and select the “Courses I Manage” option. Each course listing will contain the names of students who have requested permission, including brief information about the student and an optional student statement. The instructor will be able to select Yes or No to the permission request. If Yes is selected, the student may enroll. If No is selected, the
a student will be prevented from enrolling. NOTE: if a student is not granted permission to enroll, they may still place the course on their Canvas worksheet and maintain temporary access to the Canvas course site. When the registration system closes, both the registration worksheet and canvas worksheet will remain locked for the term.
- Department Applications: Departments who have current application processes in place may continue to use them.
- Preference Selection (PrefSel): Any courses that have used PrefSel in the past may continue to do so.
- Other Informal Processes: Any other informal processes used by instructors in the past may also continue to be used (e.g., qualtrics surveys, asking student to email interest, etc.).
- Maximum Enrollment: The maximum enrollment number on your course automatically limits the course to that many students. You may increase or decrease this number at any point. You may also authorize exceptions to the limit through the process explained above.
- For questions or help in deciding which option is best for you, email firstname.lastname@example.org.